Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Doodles vs. Drawings



So, these were done without models or other reference besides memory and imagination. Benefits of drawing from imagination: this is where ideas and characters are born. And, of course, it's FUN!


These were done on the sly, mostly in church, and are based on actual people I was looking at. Benefits: drawing from life can aid in gaining a good understanding of the structure of the head, giving you something to 'draw' from when models aren't so handy. Also, because people don't ordinarily sit still for too long, you have to draw fast, which helps keep the life and energy in your drawings. The real challenge, though, is not getting caught staring at your subject!

Conclusion: I like both of these kinds of drawings and consider both of them necessary for my artistic development. What do you think? Leave a comment, and don't forget to vote for your favorite doodle or drawing.

12 comments:

Steven Cain said...

There all wonderful... I would like to hear number sixteen's story most of all though.

I just brought out my pen, after twenty plus years. It's a bit uncooperative still. Hopefully some sketching will wear the rust off before I get discouraged.

Love your work, beautiful.

Jacquelyn Sherry said...

So fun! I like number 25! There was a guy in my ward that would go find this girl that always fell asleep in on a bench on campus and he would sketch her! I think she caught him once...awkward hahaha.

Aaron Ludwig said...

Very cool! It's hard to sketch from imagination (for me), but always fun when a good one comes out.
My wife says she thinks she knows #25....

mike said...

23 and 28 rock. 27 is Aaron's lil' squatter who went into the army. eh?

mike said...

3 is you after a nap. Love 11, 14, 16, 20. You are most excellent with your sketches. I remember the time I came home and saw them for the first time, and hadn't even known that you could draw!

Jesika Harmon said...

How funny that I felt like I could tell a story about each of your doodles...but the ones that were real people it was harder. Hmm? Number 7 is my favorite. I think it could be a man or a woman! Number 8 could be Hungarian :)

Ree-ch said...

14,15 and 24...but all are amazing, you are such a good artist. I had no idea you were so good. Just glad I got your blog from "Henderson" Nover. How are you? Where you living?

Energy Primer said...

Really well done.

Anonymous said...

Top plate - I know the dashing scoundrel no.5!

You capture the character of people in your sketches,well done.

Col C-B KBE

Jacob Kartchner said...

Dude! They're all awesome! I liked the profile of the older lady you drew in church. I also liked imagining what it was like getting caught staring at her.

Jere said...

Hey, these are great. When I sketch people in church I usually go for the person speaking, 'cause if you stare then it just looks like you're being attentive! All the stuff on your blog looks amazing, you've obviously got a lot of talent!

Jessica Hooker said...

excellent sketches! I love drawing people at church. I haven't been caught by the people I am drawing cause they are being good and paying attention to speakers... its the ones sitting behind you that you have to worry about! :D